Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on a product or service link and make a purchase, Costa Rica Vibes may earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you and helps us to keep running this website. Thank you for your support!
Zip lining over tree tops with a view of the impressive Arenal Volcano is the quintessential Costa Rica jungle experience.
There are plenty of Arenal zip line companies in the La Fortuna area. And, personally, we don’t have a favorite company to suggest because each one offers different things. Whether you’re a seasoned thrill-seeker or a first-time adventurer, there is an option for you.
We created this guide to give you all the details so you can choose the best option based on your interest.
So strap on your harness, let the wind rush through your hair, and get ready to experience the ultimate adrenaline rush!
We like Sky Adventures because they are the only zip line company located just next to the Arenal Volcano. They also offer a great view of Lake Arenal.
– Their tours are conducted in both English and Spanish
– There is a restaurant on the property that sells Costa Rican specialties, drinks, etc.
– SkyTrek has a cool thing called SkyTram. This is a tram system that takes you to where your zip-lining adventure will begin. It allows you to enjoy amazing views of Lake Arenal and Arenal Volcano before zipping by them while zip lining.
Who We Suggest This For
Because of SkyTram, I think this company is great for families.
Suggested Sky Tram Tours
Sky Tram- Sky Trek & Sky Walk From Arenal
This tour includes a visit to Sky Walk, Sky Tram, and Sky Trek. Transportation is included. You can expect:
- Sky Walk: Embark on a guided tour perfect for nature aficionados. Wander through the lush rainforest of the Arenal area on suspended bridges. Witness the diverse flora, fauna, and vibrant bird species. During this 3.6 km, 3-hour journey, encounter three majestic waterfalls, each with a 30 m drop. Take a moment to refresh yourself and marvel at the cascading waters.
- Sky Tram: Elevate your experience by taking the Sky Tram to the pinnacle of the Arenal reserve.
- Sky Trek Ziplining: Launch into a thrilling adventure above the treetops! Experience the rainforest from a novel perspective via a series of zip lines. This adrenaline-filled ride offers panoramic views of the Arenal volcano and lake. The Sky Trek features 7 cross-sectional cables totaling 1.7 miles. Soar from 100 to 2460 feet across, reaching heights up to 660 feet. Enjoy breathtaking views that surpass the tree canopy.
Sky Tram & Sky Trek From Arenal
This experience is basically the same as above, but it does not include the Sky Walk. Transportation from your La Fortuna area hotel is included.
Arenal Mundo is located next to the La Fortuna waterfall. When zip lining here you will get views of the waterfall and the volcano.
We also like this place because they offer tours that include rappeling down the La Fortuna Waterfall.
They also offer cultural experiences put on by the local Maleku indigenous tribe.
– Tours are conducted in English and Spanish
– There are lockers on the property if you need to store your backpack
– There is a small restaurant that serves a variety of food and drinks.
– Take advantage of the location and hike to the La Fortuna waterfall from the Arenal Mundo property after your zip lining adventure.
– Children over the age of 7 are able to participate in zip lining
– They have 12 cables you can zip across.
Who We Suggest This For
– People who are interested in rappelling down a waterfall
Suggested Arenal Mundo Tours
7 Ziplines + 1 Rappel + Horseback Riding + Maleku Villa + Shuttle
This awesome tour includes transportation from your La Fortuna area hotel and:
- Rainforest Rappelling: Dive into the heart of the tropical rainforest and embrace the thrill as you rappel an astonishing 80-meter waterfall. Challenge yourself with a 100-step ascent after the descent.
- Zipline Canopy Tour: Soar through the rainforest canopy on seven ziplines.
- Horseback Riding: Explore La Fortuna’s serene beauty on a gentle horseback ride, taking in the captivating natural sights and sounds.
- Maleku Indigenous Village: Deepen your connection to Costa Rica by visiting the Maleku Indigenous Village. Discover their vibrant culture, cherished traditions, and unique artistry.
Arenal Best 12 Zipline cables
This tour is the abbreviated version of the one above. It includes transportation from your La Fortuna area hotel as well as 12 zip line cables, and a visit to the Maleku Cultural Resource Center.
This tour does not include waterfall rappelling.
PureTrek has zip lining, but the focus is more on canyoning (rappelling) down the side of a waterfall.
– There is a rancho restaurant that serves lunch and fresh juices.
– There are ample facilities for showering, changing, and lockers.
Who We Suggest This For
If you are very adventurous, this company would be our suggestion for you. I mean, rappelling down a waterfall, rock climbing, and doing a monkey drop are all pretty freaking cool.
That being said, this activity is also perfectly suitable for kids. PureTrek has a special harness system geared towards children and they use a system so that the guide has full control in slowly lowering your child.
Suggested PureTrek Tours
Pure Trek Canyoning and Waterfall Rappelling Tour
This tour actually doesn’t include any zip-lining. Instead, you will be treated to:
- Jungle 4×4 Ride: Start your journey with a thrilling 4×4 ride into the heart of the forest, setting the tone for the excitement ahead.
- Waterfall Rappelling: Experience the rush of rappelling down cascading waterfalls and navigate through the lush canyon. With five different rappels, including the exhilarating ‘Monkey Drop’, this is the ultimate rainforest adventure.
- Rock Climbing: Test your skills by climbing up a hidden rainforest canyon rock wall.
- Gourmet Lunch: Savor the flavors of Costa Rica with an organic lunch. Enjoy homemade tortillas, fresh salsas, tropical juices, aromatic coffee, and delightful cookies.
Ziplining and Waterfall Rappelling Combo
This tour includes zip lining and rappelling. Transportation is also included. Here area all the details:
- Zip Lining Thrill: Meet experienced guides who’ll equip you with top-notch gear. Soar above the rainforest canopy, feeling the adrenaline as you zip across treetops with views reaching heights of 600 ft and spans up to 2,600 feet.
- Costa Rican Lunch: Refuel with an authentic Costa Rican meal after your zip-lining escapade at Pure Trek’s scenic base.
- Mountain Drive: A 4×4 adventure awaits as you’re driven through the mountains, offering breathtaking views of the Arenal Volcano and dense forests.
- Waterfall Rappelling: Dive into the heart of the rainforest as you rappel down cascading waterfalls and navigate through a captivating canyon. Experience the unique ‘Monkey Drop’, a blend of zip-lining and rappelling, and test your skills with a rock climb.
- Return in Comfort: Wind down as we transport you back to your hotel, bringing an end to a day filled with adventure and nature.
– Transportation is included from local La Fortuna hotels.
– There is an emphasis on nature with this tour, yes the zip line experience will be an adrenaline rush for sure, but they also care a lot about you enjoying the views.
Who We Suggest This For
We suggest this Arenal zip line tour for those of you that only want zip lining and aren’t interested in all the other add-ons.
The price point of this is great and includes 12 cables and 14 platforms plus the option of doing a Tarzan Swing at the end of your experience.
Suggested Eco Glide Tour
This tour includes transportation within La Fortuna. On this tour you will enjoy:
- In the Trees: Experience 11 thrilling cables, 13 unique platforms, and a suspenseful suspension bridge. Most of these platforms are nestled in the trees, letting you connect deeply with nature while feeling the rush of adrenaline.
- Tarzan Swing: For the truly adventurous, take a leap into the void with the Tarzan Swing. Swing freely in a forest clearing, reaching heights of almost 40 meters, and let your worries fly away.
- Two-Part Journey:
- First Section: Navigate through 6 cables and 7 platforms, with cable lengths extending up to 210 meters and an average altitude of 25 meters.
- Second Section: This phase offers 5 cables and 6 platforms, ranging in length from a quick 100 meters to an expansive 430 meters.
One thing we love to do in La Fortuna is participate in a combo tour. This basically means, enjoying a fun-filled day involving multiple adventures.
We like this because it takes the stress off of you to plan many activities. You can just sit back, relax, and let your guides lead you from one adventure to the next.
Plus, generally, this is way more cost-effective than planning multiple things.
This is our favorite La Fortuna combo tour that includes zip lining. ↓
Full Day Class II-III Rafting and Zipline Tour
Experience the best of La Fortuna’s adrenaline-packed activities with a day that combines white-water rafting and thrilling zipline rides through the rainforest canopy.
This tour includes:
- Zipline Adventure: Propel yourself across the rainforest on ziplines, reaching breathtaking speeds of up to 40 mph. Experience the thrill of riding on one of the longest ziplines, stretching over 3,200 feet.
- White-Water Rafting: Challenge yourself with the rushing Class II and III rapids of the Balsa River. Feel the splash, paddle through the waves, and revel in the excitement of navigating the river.
- Authentic Costa Rican Meal: Savor a delicious, traditional Costa Rican lunch at a charming country estate, a perfect way to refuel after your adventures.
- All-Inclusive Experience: All rafting equipment, safety gear, and round-trip hotel transportation are included, ensuring a seamless and stress-free day of adventure.
What to Wear & Bring
– Long pants or long shorts (you have to wear a harness and nobody wants short shorts for that experience.
– Sunglasses with a strap around your head (you don’t want them flying off)
– Close-toed shoes with a stable sole.
– A change of clothes if you would like to change after
– A full water bottle
– Some snacks
– Sunblock (And put plenty on before your zip line adventure)
– Bug spray (sometimes it can be buggy in the jungle)
– A GoPro (I wouldn’t specifically buy one for this, but if you have one most zip-lining places have helmets where you can attach your GoPro if you want)
Things to Note
– Zip lining in Costa Rica is regulated and safety standards (should) always be upheld. That being said, if a situation feels unsafe or uncomfortable to you, always trust your instincts.
– If you plan to go on a zip line adventure during the rainy season, we suggest arranging your tour for in the morning. At this time of day you won’t have rain and have a higher chance of having clear breathtaking views of the Arenal Volcano.
Do You Have Travel Insurance?
Don’t let unexpected medical expenses or trip interruptions overshadow your dream Costa Rican vacation.
– Zip lining in Costa Rica is also often called a “canopy tour”. If you see this written somewhere, they mean zip lining.
Things to Do After Your La Fortuna Zip Line Adventure
La Fortuna is the perfect jungle destination for tons of fun activities. You’ll never get bored here!
If you didn’t get a clear view of the La Fortuna Waterfall or Arenal Volcano during your zip-lining experience, you should definitely check those out. They are beautiful!
Another fun thing to do after an adrenaline rush is to relax with a soak in a hot spring. La Fortuna is home to several different hot spring parks for all different budgets and interests. You can find out all about them here.
Also, we created a complete guide to La Fortuna, Costa Rica which will tell you everything you need to know about transportation, fun activities, places to eat, the best places to stay, etc.
Wrap-Up: Arenal Zip Line
The La Fortuna area has something for everyone when it comes to zip-lining adventures. No matter which company you choose, we are sure you will enjoy soaring through the jungle with views of the Arenal Volcano or the La Fortuna waterfall.
If you have any questions about planning your Arenal zip line adventure near the town of La Fortuna, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment section below. We are always happy to help you out!
You Might Also Find These Posts Helpful:
Costa Rica Travel Details: What You Need to Know
🚗 Should I rent a car in Costa Rica?
Having a rental car will give you the most flexibility when traveling in Costa Rica. This will allow you to visit more off-the-beaten-path destinations and will allow you to take fun day trips on your own.
☀️ Should I buy travel insurance for Costa Rica?
Yes, travel insurance is always a good idea. It is not just for illness or injury, but also lost luggage, delayed trips, and more!
We like Heymondo for Costa Rica travel insurance.
✈️ What is the best way to book a flight?
Usually, we have the best luck finding great prices with Skyscanner. Check for flights to both San Jose Airport (SJO) and Liberia Airport (LIR).
🛏️ What is the best way to book my Costa Rica hotels?
🗣️What is the main language in Costa Rica?
The main language in Costa Rica is Spanish. Most people working in tourism speak at least some English.
💰 What is the currency in Costa Rica?
The currency used in Costa Rica is the Costa Rican colón (CRC). However, the US dollar is widely accepted in most tourist areas
🌴 Is Costa Rica safe?
Generally, Costa Rica is considered safe for tourists. However, like any travel destination, it’s best to use caution and be aware of your surroundings.
🛂 Do you need a passport to go to Costa Rica?
Yes, Costa Rica is its own country. You will need a passport to visit.